Tuesday, September 6, 2022

The Real Test




I had a conversation a few weeks ago with a fellow Tim where I said we would know where we were domestically after the next three league games (Hearts, Dundee Utd, Sevco)

Safe to say that question was answered.

I have mixed feelings about the Champions League. On the pitch it has yielded many great memories (and a few serious gubbings) whilst off it the continued pomp and pomposity from UEFA, an organisation that paints itself as a paragon of moral virtue whilst being run like a cartel, leaves a bitter taste.

I don't know about you but in games like last night, I go in with the feeling of desperate to win but preparing to get gubbed. Those who didn't see the game may think the latter happened but it did not.

My worries before last night were legs and experience. In the Champions League, unless you are of a Modric level quality, you are going to have to run your balls off for 90 minutes or you will get punished. My concern was our midfield and our ability to match real quality by shutting it down. I didn't think Turnbull had that and wasn't sure about O'Riley. Similarly, there is very little Champions League in our squad and that can be crucial.

With all that in mind, I was blown away by our performance last night.  The first 45 minutes were as good as anything I've ever seen from a Celtic team given the standard of opposition (let's be clear here, by far the best team in the world) and I said to my wife at half time that I didn't care what happened in the second half such was my pride in the team.

That was a lie of course, I desperately wanted to win but realism kicked in from 56 minutes where Real Madrid showed why they are champions of Europe. The only complaint I have was Carter-Vickers was posted missing at all three goals but that's fixable.

The real story is how much potential this Celtic team has and how good it can be against anyone. 

If that continues, that will be the real legacy of Ange Postecoglou.

The Real Test

I had a conversation a few weeks ago with a fellow Tim where I said we would know where we were domestically after the next three league gam...